[rfn-l] Sustainable Soil Fertility Workshops

Adele Wessell Adele.Wessell at scu.edu.au
Thu Jul 10 11:44:46 EST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Please find attached information forwarded to the list by Tass Schmidt from Jamberoo Valley Farm about their forthcoming Sustainable Soil Fertility Workshops with Paul Taylor. The first of these will commence on July 31st, and they plan to hold them on an ongoing basis.

>From Tass:

I am working with Paul Taylor both on the workshops and our Bio-Fertilizer and Innoculum Compost business. Essentially he is an advocate for biological farming which is an easily implemented sustainable method of farm management producing quite incredible production outcomes and profit improvements for the farmers and land managers who have adopted the practices both in Australia and internationally. There is a simple description of the method described in the workshop overview on our farm website www.jamberoovalleyfarm.com.au<http://www.jamberoovalleyfarm.com.au>

A couple of NSW examples of farmers using biological farming methods are Eric Harvey a sheep and cattle farmer from near Dubbo www.gilgaifarms.com.au<http://www.gilgaifarms.com.au> and John Fairley a dairy farmer from Picton www.countryvalley.com.au<http://www.countryvalley.com.au>

These people were both going broke before adopting the methods, now their farms are doing well. Eric was also in very poor health before transitioning to biological farming. He was failing to recover after a heart attack and having stents inserted into his arteries. After many tests it was found he was allergic to the stents, big problem as they can't be removed. A nutritionist I believe it was cracked the mystery, it was an imbalance in his gut bacteria stimulating the allergy......simply put, the imbalance was result of the food he was eating mainly home grown at his own farm......a light went on he says, it stemmed from the microbiology of their soils being out of balance. I'm sure he'll be happy to talk with you too.

At Jamberoo Valley Farm we are in the process of adopting these methods plus establishing model sites, producing biological farming products for sale and conducting workshops to teach farmers and other interested people about how to sustainably and inexpensively improve soil fertility whilst improving production and profits, Paul Taylor will be running the workshops and supporting me in the production business.......

Paul holds a mountain of experience both in the doing and the teaching. He has worked on a raft of fascinating projects including: reclaiming mine sites for food production in Loas, he's currently involved in an Australian Federal Government Christmas Island project teaching the community to produce organic food for themselves and the asylum seeker facilities, also greening the desert on Saudi Arabia's largest farm, not to mention numerous farm improvement projects and initiatives both in Australia and elsewhere.......including at various times his own farms. He's a really interesting fellow to talk with.

More information about Paul  www.trustnature.com.au<http://www.trustnature.com.au>

Paul teaches people the theory of the Bio-vital system and nutrient cycling then with their hands on involvement shows workshop participants how to produce the pasture improvement elements on their own farms and apply them to pastures. We will also be manufacturing and selling them down the track for farmers, plant or animal and gardeners. The system applies to anyone who grows things and manages pastures in any environment and scale.

These methods also improve the nutrient value of the food being produced. There are plenty of anecdotes to support these claims which Paul will be able to expand upon. Various studies associated with current nutritional value of food show that typically the food our population generally consumes has between 30 - 70% less nutritional value than similar food of 50 years ago.

We are dedicated to spreading the word about the benefits of biological farming as management system and how through transitioning to these methods, farmers can expect to reduce input costs, increase production and profits whilst sustainably improving soil fertility......

Cheers Tass

Tass Schmidt

Jamberoo Valley Farm

185 Wallaby Hill Road